Big Library Read Big Library Read
Gemma

Animal Empathy

Gemma    1

Despite the cons of this book, on a pro note, I did enjoy the empathy with animals; the understanding and feeling towards sentient beings! Don’t know if anyone else has any thoughts...

• Like 1

Amber    15

I did like hearing about the animals, aside from what seemed like an excessive mention of goat vulvas. 

• Like 2

Danzrlove    0

I also liked the empathy toward this animals, I was hanging in there until the descriptions of the goats became too much. I’m not easily grossed out, but just didn’t understand why there was so much description about the anatomy and mating process.

samh    3

Yes definitely, something I appreciate as I very much feel it myself.

Erin    0

Gemma, I agree with you.  I did like the fact that she recognized and commented on the individual personalities of the goats and some others.  I never felt that we learned as much about the 'companion' animals' (dogs, cats).  I am assuming that is because the name of the book isn't  Flat Broke with Four Dogs !   I also agree with you Amber - I certainly didn;t need to hear how she touched the goat's vulva for days before realizing (with her husband's help) that she had miscalculated the due date for the goat.

mar104    0

I enjoyed this book.  I did not particularly understand the author and her choices but I thought that the best passages were about the goats. And the chickens.  I really felt that these were so fully characterized as to be the "stars" of the book.   I wanted less of the author and more of the goats. And yes, probably more than I wanted to know about goat vulvas.