Big Library Read Big Library Read

Rosa Lamour    1

So how are they milking the goats? By hand or are they using a pump? At 65%: Then David put a lavender, hand-held human breast pump up to one teat. At 67%: After making sure that your hands are clean, position your thumb and forefinger at the top of the teat to close it off.

• Thanks 1

Ginny G.    7

As a former homesteader(had to sell our farm because of severe health issues) I had a family background in being able to garden and care for animals and home can. My husband came from a fairy farming family in very rough circumstances. We built our own place raised animals,successfully and produced maple syrup. Yup,things go wrong,there sometimes are no ways to avoid it. I learned  to milk from my husband who grew up living on a farm. This was his life. He can do just about anything. Unless you have proper facilities and have someone to mentor you(who actually knows what they're talking about)milking goats is not easy. Yup,know what I'm talking about, had a variety of them who were all rescued. These people are just are self indugent dopes. 

Hippychick    0

I own a farm in New Zealand, its been a dream my whole life ,I have ridden horses since 7yrs & worked as a vet nurse & rescue kennel maid so I think I have a pretty good background with animals. I was very sad that they used animals to practice their new farming skills on. To buy a small chunk of land & think all I need now are some animals to complete this picture. You dont just get animals & decide to breed them! This is very dangerous behaviour its an insult to people like us that have attended numerous courses & workshops ,been to uni & got educated, become competant enough to put those animals lives in our hands. You wouldnt buy a hospital then think I just need to get some humans to practice on, no problem if we lose a few theres always plenty more. The fact that they got into debt & just moved on to another life was strange, making soap was never going to make money as people dont want stinky slimy handmade soap they pay a very small price for liquid soap.  Most farmers are not farming for big money anymore its a lifestyle choice. The animals are a pleasure to have around but a good knowledge of  illnesses are vital. You must be able to know what a sick animal looks or sounds like as most animals go downhill very quickly. I was disappointed with the book as I thought it was right up my street but unfortunatly the content seemed to be framed with & then we had another drink ,which isnt really how you farm animals & decrease your debt. 

Denise F    2

It’s not the milking that’s hard- it’s getting the milk from udder to bucket without manure, hair, etc. there’s a bit more to it than just squeezing the teat! Lol