cswenson

Why were you attracted to this book?

22 posts in this topic

I initially checked out this book for my hubby, Troy.  He makes the best lemon icebox pie (his mother's recipe), but he wanted to try a home-made crust.  I was a farm girl and we made everything from scratch so it wasn't too high on my list of "childhood pleasures" to renew.  So, I spoke with my mother and sisters to see what recipe they used and we settled on my mother's recipe.  Once we made crust from scratch there was no going back!  I loved it and now it is a special pleasure for Troy & me.  My 3 childhood pleasures that I have renewed in my "older" years are quilting, canning & home-made pie making.  What are yours?

BTW - Troy's lemon icebox pie was our "wedding cake" and each year on our anniversary there is sure to be one waiting in the "icebox".

1 person likes this

I would like to learn how to make my own pie crust. I make pies during holidays, but buy the crust.

1 person likes this

This is the perfect place to start! If you download Art of the Pie, you'll find Kate's pie recipe in the first few chapters!

Adam is correct, this is the perfect book to get started baking pies with homemade crust. The narrative is easy and fun to read as Kate takes you through pies and life. Here's my finished pie - made from scratch crust just finishes it off to perfection!

IMG_20170320_204242751.jpg

I am the absolute WORST at making pie crust. I'm hoping to find a new technique that takes my pie making skills to the next level. 

I was attracted do it because, well, it's about pie!  My favorite of all the food groups.  I've only ever made one recipe for my pie crusts and was happy to see all the wonderful varieties in the book.  Can't wait to try them.

I was initially attracted to the book because of the summary. But as I got reading Katie's advice I got lost as if I were reading a novel.

2 people like this

I gave it a try because of the Big Library read recommendation.  I've never read a recipe book cover to cover before. I always assumed book groups read novels, so I was surprised at this choice but stuck with it.

I enjoyed the autobiographical bits, it's like you really get to know Kate. The book is well written, it feels like a letter from an old friend, Kate comes across very warm and caring. I have also been inspired to bake!

3 people like this

I'm a sucker for great recipes!  I could see from Kate's interview that she is passionate about what she does.  Her book reflects her passion and deep commitment to making great pies.  I'm renewing my love of cooking and baking and love the opportunity to share this with others.

1 person likes this

I had heard that Kate was in town signing the book so went to Moonraker and met her with her family. Got a great hug! Great person and family and took out the book and and now reading the book again. I enjoy the ideas of all different types of pies as I love pie. And the pictures and story and picture of Pie Cottage in Port Angeles, where I visit, and the sweet love story with MulchMan. Thanks so for writing the book Kate. smiles

3 people like this

I make pies at Indian Ladder Farms. I like to check out other recipes and methods, so this looked like a book I would enjoy. Maybe we'll add some new varieties at the farm!

1 person likes this

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, cswenson said:

I initially checked out this book for my hubby, Troy.  He makes the best lemon icebox pie (his mother's recipe), but he wanted to try a home-made crust.  I was a farm girl and we made everything from scratch so it wasn't too high on my list of "childhood pleasures" to renew.  So, I spoke with my mother and sisters to see what recipe they used and we settled on my mother's recipe.  Once we made crust from scratch there was no going back!  I loved it and now it is a special pleasure for Troy & me.  My 3 childhood pleasures that I have renewed in my "older" years are quilting, canning & home-made pie making.  What are yours?

BTW - Troy's lemon icebox pie was our "wedding cake" and each year on our anniversary there is sure to be one waiting in the "icebox".

Any kind of food making to me is a fun and happy time. Pies in particular are fun to make and as long as the crust turns out, it is really hard to mess up any recipe. I love pot pies, my children grew up on meat pies such as chicken, turkey or beef pot pies. Sometimes I made the crust homemade and sometimes I used bisquick or canned biscuits, the homemade crust was always the best. I meat pot pie is a good way to sneak vegetables into children's food and hardly any leftovers to worry about.  

1 person likes this

I had read a review and the book sounded interesting.  I love cookbooks and the extra tips and stories caught my interest.  Not to mention once I saw it, the cover and layout are attractive too.

1 person likes this

I love to cook and bake. I checked this book out on Pi day just out of curiosity and am so glad I did. there are so many new recipes I'd love to try!

1 person likes this

On 3/25/2017 at 5:52 AM, K8Mcr said:

I gave it a try because of the Big Library read recommendation.  I've never read a recipe book cover to cover before. I always assumed book groups read novels, so I was surprised at this choice but stuck with it.

I enjoyed the autobiographical bits, it's like you really get to know Kate. The book is well written, it feels like a letter from an old friend, Kate comes across very warm and caring. I have also been inspired to bake!

This is the same reason I chose to read this book! I have read the occasional cookbook cover to cover before, but this was a new experience. I liked all the personal touches. 

1 person likes this

On 3/21/2017 at 7:46 AM, VLONDHE said:

I would like to learn how to make my own pie crust. I make pies during holidays, but buy the crust.

:)

1 person likes this

I have tried (and failed) to make my own crust. Now with this well written best friend type book I look forward to actually making a great pie. Probably for Easter! My book just arrived yesterday and I'm ready to start.

9 hours ago, Priscilla said:

:)

That's exactly what I was doing.  Try the first pie crust recipe in this book.  It's very easy, flaky, and tastes wonderful.  I used a food processor to cut the cold fat into the flour, then finished with a fork and bowl.  I'd never heard, before, that you don't have to get the fat cut into tiny pieces like coarse crumbs.  

Please enjoy pies on behalf those of us who cannot!  I have a severe physical disability that impairs every aspect of my life being except my intellect and personality. Even though I can't move, hear, speak or even eat normally, I'm a tablet technology tables me to post messages and read voraciously! I'm curious. Which pies have the best taste and texture? Thanks! 

The title is intriguing.  This book is just not about pies but, as I discovered, this book is about the spiritual, ancestral, and mindful aspects of pie making.  I began to think about "the people behind me", my mother and my grandmother especially,  who made pies.  I have not checked out recipes yet.  But, this book does inspire me to make a pie!