Big Library Read Big Library Read
Lady Ice

What did people think of the recipes?

Lady Ice    0

Do you think they added anything to the book? They were annoying at times but seemed to fit with the author’s assertion that cooking was an escape for her.

I was not interested in the receipts and skipped over them.I am more interested in reading and writing than I am in cooking.I found that it  was a source of distraction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LibraryFan    0

I loved the quick and easy recipes, which corresponded with the preceding chapter.  Looking at the ingredients and instructions, I thought about my sister in Tulsa, who loves to cook using her garden produce and would like this book too, because of the recipes.  I also thought about Jennifer McGaha's creativity in taking a published recipe, which she credited and repurposing it to fit what she had on hand.   

JulieF    0

I am a cook and a gardener so I enjoyed the recipes. However, I don't think they added anything to the book. I would have preferred text explaining how she cooked her dishes.

AshHope94    0

I switched between the audiobook and text depending on what situation I was reading in, so I may have missed a few recipes. A lot of them seemed a little too boujie for me, but I might try out the citrus chicken marinade or the Cajun shrimp. I did find it charming that she had such a huge passion for food that most of her memories seem centered around those good times. In that way, the recipes did seem relevant, but you certainly don't miss anything by skipping over them if that's not your thing.

TempFruit    2

I thought they were a nice touch. Some I read, some I skipped. I think having them at the end of the chapters was nice so that you could take them or leave them. I wouldn't say they were necessary to the story.

• Like 2

I see the recipes as the heartbeat of the book - the end-of-chapter recipes paused the flow of the story, and allowed my mind to clear and read next chapter refreshed. Particularly poignant are the Cajeta recipe directions - a gem of commentary that puts us back in touch with the reality of food production. <This post also appears under recipe share thread>

• Like 4

imN2books    0

I loved reading the recipes, and  I thought they provided a nice break in reading. They were simple and provided extra insight to the author's story. We all have recipes that are passed down in our families-I have started recipe books for my children of all their favorite recipes, so they can continue to enjoy and share heirloom recipes with their families. Food is a source of comfort and bonding between all people-you take a great recipe to an international event and all people come together to enjoy, whether or not they speak the same language.

Greytmom    0

I liked the recipes and if I wasn’t battling cancer I would try a few.  I would have preferred the recipes to be at the end of the book. 

Laura1258    0

While I'm no baker, I did enjoy these parts of the book, it showed her patience, creativity, and how using her grandmother's items made her feel closer to her.

I wanted to like this, I certainly read them, but I found them annoying.  Nothing remarkable.

certain authors use food in their books in such a compelling way.  This author really wanted to convey her love of cooking.  

Anyone ever read Marlena de Blasi? Her book Thousand Days in Venice has a few recipes at the end and I found that to be a treasure!  McGaha did not pull that off.

I thoroughly enjoyed the recipes.  They were a nice diversion and showed the author's sense of humor during trying times. The titles were tasty tongue in cheek. I plan to add them to my collection.

• Like 1

highrez    0

I enjoyed the recipes.  Bought the ingredients and am going to prepare the gazpacho today.

Magarty    2

They were nothing special. As few people have access to goats milk, I thought they were unnecessary.

Ginny G.    7

If perhaps there were just a couple. Not a constant stream. Looks like there was always money for drinks and food. It also filled in empty space.

I enjoyed them and copied some of them to use later. Since they were growing or raising much of their own food and in dire straits financially, cooking in a new way was therapeutic. But I am a foodie, so of course I'd welcome the recipes.

Andreaw    0

I liked the recipes it was like a added bonus and they went nice with what happened in that chapter. I haven’t tried any of them and I wish electronicly you could just find the recipes.