Adam Sockel

What recipe are you most excited to try?

21 posts in this topic

There are so many awesome recipes in this book! I almost don't know where to start... So I'm curious- What recipe are you most excited to try out?

1 person likes this

Looking through the recipes, the single crust Chicken Pot Pie (Chapter 8) sounds much better than the frozen, store bought type. I have never made one from scratch.

I eventually plan to make the Clean the Oven Pie (Chapter 4) when local apples are in season. Apple anything is usually a favorite among family members. At first I thought maybe this recipe was a joke, just based on the title. I find it helps to put a large foil lined cookie sheet under the pie pan, just to catch the juice that will inevitably overflow. :)

1 person likes this

I totally agree about the Pot Pie-  I will admit to being lazy and using puff pastry for crust in the past

Posted (edited)

I am just excited that we are talking about this book!  I read the hardcover and am now using my tablet as a recipe book in my kitchen - never thought I'd do that!  Yesterday I made Kate's pie crust and this evening I will make her sour cherry pie with lattice crust.  I am a bit worried about gaining 10 pounds in these next 2 weeks!

Took the easy way out and skipped the lattice - a challenge for another day.

Sour_Cherry_Pie.jpg

Edited by cswenson
Added Pic
3 people like this

I feel the EXACT same way! I made a pumpkin pie with her crust this weekend and it's MARCH! Our diets may all be in trouble. :)

I have made the Rhubarb pie with Blueberries, and yesterday the Lemon Meringue. I have to work on my impatience, as I should have let the filling cook more and then cool more before adding the meringue. It was delicious, but runny. I'd make it again right now but must wait for an occasion when there will be others around to help me eat it! 

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 4.41.06 PM.png

4 people like this

The Nectarine Pie is calling my name. Nectarines are so fresh and I am curious to see how they taste in a delicious pie. 

1 person likes this

The Traditional English Pork Pie sounds amazing.  My whole family would love it except for my vegetarian daughter, but I'll fill one for her with non meat ingredients.  

1 person likes this

If you come up with vegetarian replacement I'd love to hear it as I to am a vegetarian :)

Has anyone else listened to the "heart beat" of their pie?  I heard it with my Sour Cherry Pie!  This was something I had not heard or read about before Kate's book.

1 person likes this

I made the "you pick the seasoning" meat pie for dinner... And some sugar cinnamon pinwheels with the leftover crust. It was so good! 

Posted (edited)

Savory hand pies to eat and go, and some berry pies in berry season. Made an Irish Pie day with corn beef and potatoes and peas, was yummy. I have some ideas for a Chicken Pot Pie maybe add some curry spice.So many pies......

Edited by katken

Made 2 batches of pie crust this morning and will be making a Peach Berry Pie this evening.  I also promised a Berry Pie to my High School Girls group.  Thinking Troy will want a Blueberry Pie for his birthday April 3rd.  After that I am limiting pies to two per month and special occasions!

So many great pies to choose from! I can't wait to try the old fashioned rhubarb pie, then the peach, then.....

I am looking foreward to try the Apple and Cheddar Pie!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Immediately, I made the Quintessential Apple Pie.  I'd never heard of using many different apple varieties in a pie.  I went to the store & purchased 2 of every variety they had. It was absolutely wonderful!!  The crust was so delicious and easy that I couldn't wait to try another one.  Tonight, I made the chicken pot pie, but made it a double crust pie.  My Grandchildren's favorite part are the "pie-dough cookies" I make with left-over crust.  When I cut off the extra crust around the edges, I put it on a cookie sheet, spread it with butter or margarine, and sprinkle cinnamon & sugar on it, then bake for about 20 minutes.  With the butter in the crust, these are incredible, and neither time have there been enough "cookies".   So, my next batch of crust will all go onto the cookie sheet instead of a pie pan.

I can't wait to try the Shaker Lemon, Rhubarb Custard, and Rum Pastry Cream! I want to make the Cranberry this fall when cranberries are available again.

Edited by Sheri
Add the pies I want to try next.

That image, Blue Bird, of the Lemon Meringue Pie is magnificent.  This pie has always been one of my favorites!

The blueberry pie is a new favorite in my house! Here's my poorly latticed attempt. Still tasted wonderful!

20170325_154932.jpg

1 person likes this