Big Library Read Big Library Read
Sign in to follow this  
rbsamar

Flat broke with two Goats

I am enjoying  Flat Broke with Two Goats.I didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised when the author introduces   issues such as  spousal abuse  and bankruptcy.This is  a story that could have, and did happen to many Americans during the recession.imagine losing everything and starting over in a rough cabin in the woods.The challenges that the characters face both in their environment and their relationship make it an interesting read.

Genevieve Doyle

• Like 1

JMO    18

Once I got past my own pet-peeves/biases of the self-entitlement, that many never have what she always had, and the fact that the rest of us suffer when someone chooses to not pay their taxes, I could appreciate her introspection on her ancestors and how hardworking they truly are. I also think it's wonderful that they didn't completely quit their marriage. They both certainly had reason to, but seemed to have a hold on that part of their lives...maybe...which may have made all the difference. Too many don't honor the vows. It's just for better, richer, and while in good health. 

• Like 1

Roobinsky    0

I read right through it. I found a lot to think about. Quite a few of the comments seem judgmental.  

18 hours ago, Roobinsky said:

I read right through it. I found a lot to think about. Quite a few of the comments seem judgmental.  

Being judgemental is what happens when people discuss their opinions on something.  It would be more informative if you posted what you thought was a harsh assesment by someone else and why you thought it was too harsh.  That is why we are here afterall, to read about others points of view.

Ace    0

Took two days to read it.  It is a fun and also thoughtful read.  Some parts of her "remembering" her grandparents seemed forced. Who ever can figure out who's who in photos stored in a box?

syreva    1

This book has little recommend it beyond epitomizing a memoir gone wrong. The prose is uninspired, the structure haphazard, and the human subjects flat. The title is not apt; "You Drive, and I'll Sit n the Back with the Possum" would have been better. I found the recipes to be gratituitous and annoying page fillers. The author's treatment of her grandparents' lives qnd deaths is the stuff of adolescent first attempts to write something  "meaningful." The closest this author comes to successful writing is in evoking a sense of place, but even there she doesn't seem able to see beyond the physical presence of rhododendrons and the waterfall. 

• Like 1