Big Library Read Big Library Read
LovesReading

#BigLibraryReads

14 hours ago, LovesReading said:

Very excited to read and share discussion of Big Library Read book 2018!

Me too,It's the next best thing to being in a book club but you don't have to,leave home!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sday    0

I checked out this audiobook online. Yesterday I went to my local library and did not find any mention of this BiG Read in the main lobby or in the Adult section.  If this indeed is a BiG Read, where is the hype?  This is April 10th.  

As a newbie to this form of social media, is there a set of instructions or faq's that explain how to navigate and contribute to the discussion?  Leaving a post to an existing topic (thread?) was pretty straight forward, and the little heart seems to be a "like/agree/disagree" with an individual post.  I don't understand the + quote thingy, and I'm sure there are other things I'm missing.

FLn8tv    1

Is this a new program?  I’ve never heard of it. Regardless, I’m glad to have found it this year as I wouldn’t have chosen this book on my own. It’s good to branch out. 

• Like 1

Adrian    1
On 12/04/2018 at 0:16 PM, Adam Sockel said:

@FLn8tv - We've been doing the Big Library Read for the last 4 years. You can see the previous titles that were selected here: https://biglibraryread.com/past-titles/

This thread is suggesting that the promotion of the Big Read has not been significant enough by those who promote the service. I include the libraries too, if they are notified of the forthcoming reads. I have now signed up as the first I knew, was by chance today.

With Libby, it could have sent a notification?

Libraries (where I work) could be encouraged to promote the read more if we have a a fair amount of time to prepare.

An email list? this is not so easy as access does not require an address generally.

What can we do in libraries to hear about planned events early enough?

I am always promoting the use of Libby and this is a great hook into its social use. I dropped the ball as I thought "American Sniper" was a one-off, again I found it too late. I would like to set up an audio book club, and this type of event is a perfect excuse to.

I hope now I have signed up here that I am registered for future discussions or is the sign up just for the current book.

This is not a moan, it is a plea to help us help the project extend its reach.

Many thanks, I now need to download the book :)

LuRae    1

The only two Big Library Read books I have read are this one (“Flat Broke”) and “Shakespeare Saved My Life.”  Therefore, I falsely assumed all the BLR books were memoirs or at least non-fiction.  It was enlightening to checkout the link above and read about earlier BLR books.  Wondering what other readers’ past BLR favorites were?

Ace    0

Discovered this recently and can hardly wait for the next title.

Adam Sockel    32

Hi @Adrian - For our library partners, we have a blog where we announce news frequently: https://blogs.overdrive.com/ and we also do send out newsletters promoting Big Library Read and other programs. If you go to Marketplace where your library purchases materials we have information for you there as well. We create marketing materials, press release templates and social media tools for every BLR for our library partners that you can find on top tabs at https://biglibraryread.com/. :)

Adrian    1

@Adam Sockel Many thanks for the link, I will try to get an RSS client. As said, i love Overdrive and Libby and want to promote as much as possible. In the UK I believe our county has hit a million downloads which is one for every person in the county's population!

Many thanks for a great service

• Thanks 1