Big Library Read Big Library Read
Hope

Is it good ? No spoilers!!!

One of my favorite authors is Judith R Hendricks, who writes in a similar vein.  Writing in in the first person, experiencing a few close friendships and some really good food is a comforting read for me.  I liked her sense of adventure--if one life style doesn't fit, try another.  The discovery is part of the awakening.

jornduff    0

My son and daughter-in-law have raised chickens and turkeys and goats.  You have to be careful not to let the animals in the same area where the goats have pooped because it can kill off the other animals.  I'm not sure what disease they carry but my son and daughter-in-law no longer have goats.

Karen Babb    1

I am enjoying this book!  It's very much like real life. So many books read like soap operas, but this book is raw, like real life! No perfect people. No perfect jobs. No perfect relationships.  My husband and I bought an old farmhouse in our younger days. It looked so welcoming nestled among huge oak trees. There were apple trees blooming in the backyard!  There were also barns. We pictured happy cows lazily chewing their cud. Oh, and of course,  a couple of horses for the kids! Our dogs would have room to run!  What we didn't count on was the wall heaters that only warmed you when you stood right in front of them and then burned you. We were unaware of the mice reunion that took place in the kitchen cabinets. Best of all was the mother cat and her six kittens that lived under the house and climbed the insulation wrapping the water pipes for the bathtub in our only bathroom. They then climbed into the kitchen cabinets which were not closed off from the bathroom wall.  They didn't stop there! Smart little buggers  pushed open the cabinet door and waltzed into the kitchen!  We battled kittens, mice, roaches, a bird that flew down the chimney into the family room, and a stray pig that pushed its way through the screen onto the porch.  We had moved to this farm from a beautiful redwood ranch. Family and friends ask us why???  We wanted to get back to the land!  We wanted to give our children a chance to enjoy a childhood like we had on our grandparent's farms. I can relate to the author's characters. Her writting is lyrical. I will check for more books from this lady!

• Like 1

Isla    1

Like listening to the nonsensical ramblings of a grandma for 30 hours straight. There's no dramatic tension, it goes nowhere, misses huge chunks of time and ends abruptly. The most boring audiobook i've ever endured. 

• Like 1

LCT    7

I deeply disliked this book. This was made more disappointing by the fact that I really tried to like it. I'm kind of fascinated by the comments of those who enjoyed it--it's as if we were reading entirely different books. (None of the comments made by those who enjoyed the book could convince me to ever, ever, ever like any part of the book)

• Like 3

Magdarella    0
On 2018-04-07 at 8:23 PM, Sal said:

Still slogging through this book.  I'm listening via audio and perhaps that isn't helping.  The voice is that of an elderly southern grandma,  with a tragic crack in it, and I have to remind myself that the writer is actually a youngish woman.  A younger narrator might have livened things up a bit and permitted me to appreciate the story more.  

I agree! I'm having a hard time connecting the narrator to the character!

Dawnljervis    0

Yes a good book. As a book group book it has many areas that can be discussed, brave of author to put it all out there, sometimes she doesn’t come across to well. But an enjoyable read.

Mark    2

As an editor, I appreciate how difficult it is to write a book, especially about one's own life struggles. While I respect the author's effort, I cannot recommend this book. To be sure, she's endured difficult hurdles and, regardless of whether they were within her control to avoid, the telling just doesn't make for a compelling read.  Of course, opinions are subjective, so perhaps there are others who will love this book. To my tastes, there was far too much detail about raising goats and chickens, and too little development of the characters and relationships.  I finished the book feeling empathy for the author's struggles and respect for her having been able to change her outlook, to find happiness in simple things. I just didn't forge an emotion bond with the characters. I've recently started The Glass Castle and, while I'm only 20% through the book, I'm already gripped by the subject matter, especially the deep background that the author provides and the vivid emotions that it evokes. It's easier to relate to seeing the world through the eyes of a stranger, when you first feel that understand the path they've traveled and how significantly their present was effected by their past/childhood experience.  I wish I had formed an emotional connection while reading Flat Broke with Two Goats. For me, it just fell flat.

I've never participated in a book club and so this is my first foray into sharing opinions with a group.  I hope others will respond to my commentary and, while I didn't enjoy the book, I have great respect for the author's journey.

• Like 2

Sue Riley    1

I just finished the book and it is good. No spoilers but stick with the author and the book and I think you'll be satisfied with the read.

CCamp    1

I thought it a good book because it is interesting to read about someone who hinks very differently than I do.  I viewed it as a "what not to do" book, and it is a bit scary to think there are plenty of people out there who think similarly.  I disagree with the poster who said this could happen to anyone at anytime.  Most of their problems came from very poor decisions.

Gurton    1

I appreciate that the author focused enough to write a book. That truly is an accomplishment worth noting. Focus & follow through do not seem to be things the author does much of in her life. That is the extent of my appreciation. In answer to your question, NOT REALLY. The cover caught my eye, but sadly the goats on it were the best part. 

• Like 1

Steph    0

I didn’t finish it. It was interesting up to when they landed at the farm, but it went on and on and I kept thinking this lady is spoiled and clueless. I could not empathize with her and her husbands self inflicted disaster. They were not victims by a long shot. I lost interest before they got to go the goats . Sorry

Franka    0

I would have given up on this book after the first quarter, had it not been the challenge of a book club read so I thought it would I prove me wrong. That wasn’t the case. There was way too much detail in every area. Do I need to know she used Dove dish soap to do one procedure, for example? The book could have been a far better read had it had good editing. Also, the audacity of people to tell of things they continued to buy and use (private schooling, 2-car family), disregarding their debt load, which they said loomed over them but didn’t really appear to. The degree of detail she went into about her first marriage was also not needed. I see how it formed who she was somewhat from that experience, but she stayed on that topic, which really was a side story, for far too long. I really disliked this book. 

LuRae    1

Is the book “good?”  As you might get expect, that depends on your definition of “good.”  I read the book in its entirety rather quickly, wanting to know more about how their family life plays out after their financial downfall.  Since I couldn’t put the book down, it must have been good, right?  (Or am I just nosey?). After I finished it, I just got more and more aggravated as I thought about the author’s choices.  So since the book left me with no sympathy for an individual nor any take-away lessons or inspirations for my own life, it must NOT be good, right?  (Or am I just feeling ungracious and superior about what I perceive as hard, forward thinking choices my own family has made?) Hmmmmmm .....

• Like 1

ashleym    1

Looks like I'm one of the few that actually LOVED this book. I was sad when it was over. I loved that the book was real and down to earth, not a "someday over the rainbow" book. 

• Like 1

This book is like a written reality TV show. One keeps rubber necking at someone else's crazy life and wondering why that someone doesn't straighten up and realize that $450 plus several hours of round trip driving and room and board and time and vet bills is a heck of a lot of money which could be spent on goat cheese and bills.

• Like 1

BethK    7

I wouldn't recommend this book. I enjoy homesteading/gardening/farming memoirs (are they a subgenre?) but this is not one of the better ones. McGaha admits in the author Qs at the end of my book that structure is one of her challenges, and it shows. She jumps around between times and subjects, and they're not all interesting or well-developed.  I don't feel like I grew to understand any of the people in the book other than her.  Furthermore, it seems like her situation could have yielded much more insight and personal growth than it did.  Finally, I hated how judgmental this book made me feel as a reader--it's hard not to second-guess her choices and hope that the book is not normalizing and glamorizing them.

• Like 1