Big Library Read Big Library Read
Hope

Is it good ? No spoilers!!!

Juniper    9

It is definitely good, very down-to-earth and genuine.  I quite enjoyed it.  

• Like 3

Melody    3

I really enjoyed this book.  I normally read mysteries and thrillers, so this was a change for me.  I am going to look for more books by this author.

• Like 3

The book was not what I expected, and not entirely in a good way... It was a nice read, I still enjoyed a majority of it and you do get a good sense of what it was like for them to go through this situation but certain areas where pretty cringe-worthy...another reader in a post described her as 'whiney' and I think I agree... how she handles some of the situations didn't really make sense and there are some contradictory aspects ( the whole point is they are flat broke but they still do certain things that are more a 'luxury') so I feel like they haven't learned how to manage their resources still. I'm about 90% finished the book so I may find redemption at the end but... I don't know. it's odd.

• Like 6

TheBookPosh    2

I'm only about 20% done with this book, but I'm thoroughly engrossed with it and this is saying a lot because I don't like to read memoirs because I don't "trust" that the stories aren't embellished.  I feel that it is honest and relatable. I enjoy a read that exposes the writer's vulnerability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bren m    3

Ashley_Dianah,

Please let us know after you finish.  I have a feeling I'm in the same camp with the book.

Jojogreens    2

I'm only on chapter 3.  It's good storytelling.  Keeps you interested.  But I find myself rolling my eyes at the main character a little.  I'm hoping throughout the story, there will be more indication of a personal journey.

• Like 2

Sethcalkins    3
12 hours ago, Sethcalkins said:

Is it a good read for a man? 

Never minds. I just read it, and I answered my own question. It is good for men and women. Before I read it, I was afraid it was going to be overly feminine. 

• Like 1

Lulu    0

I’m enjoying it but wondering if there is a purpose to this story or just her life. 

Mdykens    36

This book badly needs editing. Even with editing, I am not sure there is any value to reading it. I found very little that was entertaining, uplifting, or edifying. 

• Like 4

I did not enjoy her or the book. Too much of the same thing. Too much back and forth. No structure. All about her and her feelings. No couple relationships. 

• Like 1

Molly    1

I am only about 25% into this book and can not figure out why this book was chosen for what appears to be the first Big Library Read. I agree with many of the people who have responded to this thread in that the main character is not very likable.  Okay, they fell on hard times. Does that give them the right to think other people should support them?? I'll continue reading and hopefully why this book was chosen will become clearer.

• Like 1

I think the book is pretty well written and I am enjoying it.  However, I think it romanticizes farm life.  I am half way through the book and this bothers me.  As a child I grew up on a farm and I find her descriptions silly.  I didn't really enjoy the experience, but I can assure  you that no one on our farm felt this way about chickens or goats.  I hope people don't read this and head back to nature on a whim.

The book is pretty uneventful in the sense that life in general is quite uneventful. But in it's drab unevenfulness, there are plenty of joys and sorrows in connecting to nature and animals. That's pretty unusual for a book.

Morningsky    6

just finished. I loved it. no spoilers. other than to try not to analyze every detail. she did what she did and she got what she got

WuzzntMe    0

I found the book started out well, it captured my attention and kept me reading but by the end of the book I had enough. 

It never ceases to amaze me how how people can adapt to their situation so well and be praised for their accomplishments, when actually it is their desperate need to survive motivating them and their lack of ambition that is keeping them there. 

I enjoyed this book. I read parts out loud to my daughter in law , parts that were especially entertaining. The book has some good lessons for all of us.

Lady Ice    0

I found the descriptions of the farming quite soothing- maybe because the animals were more sympathetic! It does seem to romanticise poverty, with both author and husband sticking their heads in the sands about the money situation. Are they really rejecting the comfort of money or are they farming as a distraction from their reality?

Sal    3

Still slogging through this book.  I'm listening via audio and perhaps that isn't helping.  The voice is that of an elderly southern grandma,  with a tragic crack in it, and I have to remind myself that the writer is actually a youngish woman.  A younger narrator might have livened things up a bit and permitted me to appreciate the story more.  

• Like 2