Big Library Read Big Library Read
MichelleG

First Library Big Read

MichelleG    2

This was my first library big read. Finished the book in an evening and the following morning. Nice easy summer read. So glad to be reading the same book at the same time as so many others. 

• Like 2

Anne McC    8

Not loving it but I'll persevere. 😏😏😏. I'm in a reading rut so these suggested books are good for me.

I didn't like the idea of a western novel either but it is interesting to see how the author uses Victorian type values in a western setting.Mrs Bennett is trying to find a suitable. husband for her daughter in much the same way that the Mrs  Bennet of Pride and Prejudice did.However, her daughters are not as compliant or obedient as their predecessors were.Janie disobeys her mother and rides the horse to visit her neighbour. 

BDS    0

Found the book ok but didn’t like the way the middle sister Mary had been left out, why seems like prejudice to middle children. 

SammieK    0

This was my first big library read as well! I actually liked the novel and enjoyed many of the twists. I thought it was weird to take out Mary, but I can understand the Bennet home already being cluttered with four girls without adding in a fifth. I liked the idea of a western setting very much for this. I live in Texas, so I love Western elements. P&P is one of my favorite novels of all time, and I read a lot of adaptations, so this one using Western elements set it apart.